Hi everyone! My name is Lianna Mills, and I have been a part of the CAS team for nearly 2 years. I work with our families adopting from Eastern Europe and China. I was adopted from China when I was 9 months old, and from the time I could comprehend my adoption story, I felt a strong sense of pride in my roots.
Below are some ways to celebrate your child’s birth culture:
- Connect with other adoptive families in your community and celebrate country-specific holidays together (e.g. Lunar New Year, Baba Marta)
- Research and cook traditional dishes native to your child’s birth country
- Read books to your children that take place in their birth country; ones that have heroes/heroines that share their ethnic background; or traditional folktales.
- Attend local international cultural events – festivals, performances, art exhibits
- Enroll your child in a language class to help them retain their native language
- Celebrate “Family Day” or “Gotcha Day” each year – the date your child’s adoption was made official