A home study is the first step in the adoption process. It is required for both international and domestic adoption. Children’s Adoption Services partners with an adoption worker to assess your family and prepare for your adoption.
The purpose of the home study is to:
- Learn about the strengths in your family system
- Understand your unique parenting styles
- Learn about your family and community
- Determine how a child will fit in your family system
- Collaborate on how to prepare your family with the adoption of a child
- Prepare you to parent a child whose experiences and history may be different from your own.
- Provide education, resources throughout the adoption process